Monday, March 26, 2012

Foodie tips and tricks for a successful garden!



It's been almost a year since my last blog entry, and my lack of motivation has finally been thwarted!  It's not that I haven't found time to devour delicious cuisine from coast to coast....but my inspiration for writing just hadn't quite caught up with my appetite.

I had anxiously been awaiting the arrival of warmer weather so I could dig in the dirt and begin my spring garden.  I had a successful fall season growing basil, broccoli, and spinach...and was eager to try my hand at several new crops.

After oodles of hours scouring pinterest (my hubby calls it the "crack for women"), I was inspired to plant a lettuce and cabbage garden.  In addition, I wanted to try planting carrots, beets, onions, and strawberries.

Here is the photo that inspired me:



My endeavors have not been a disappointment, as we've had an unusually wet spring thus far and the crops have blossomed as a result.  Here are a few pictures of the garden progress since I first planted in February.



Week 1



Week 1



Week 4


Week 4

My garden has proven to be a place of relaxation, and I encourage all to try their hand at planting their own!  



For this entry, I wanted to share some of the most important simple tips and tricks that I've learned in the past few years that have helped my garden to thrive.  It has been through much trial and error that I've been able to simplify my gardening regimen to produce herbs and vegetables that make delicious additions to my home-cooked meals!

So here goes....

Foodie Girl in the Garden
Top 10 Gardening Tips for delicious Home Grown Grub!


1) Grow plants in a raised bed.  Raised beds ensure better soil quality, and can help prevent weeds!
2) Create a walking path around your garden.  Use pavers, gravel, mulch or dirt around your garden so that you won't destroy the crops.
3) Water crops only as needed.  If you water more than necessary your plants won't grow strong, deep roots or bear as much fruit.
4) Invest in a DIY home watering system and automatic timer.  There are many easy and cost efficient watering systems available at home improvements stores.  (I prefer the "Mister Landscaper" Sprinkler Starter kit.  It is only $15 and you can customize it to your needs and garden.)  Most importantly, it will conserve water and make it more convenient for those that are always on the go!


5) Use organic fertilizer at the time of planting.  Incorporating fertilizers at the time of planting will provide young plants with the best chance for vibrant foliage and beautiful blooms.  Since the fertilizers will be released over time, it will continue providing nutrients to the plant as needed.  Here was a lucky find that I really like.



6) Research and plan companion planting within your garden space.  Companion planting helps nourish plants, prevent pests, and promote higher yield crops.  

7) Mulch the garden.  Using mulch helps inhibit weed growth, retain moisture, and limit the spread of plant disease.
8) Prune your plants!  I learned this lesson first with my geranium plants.  The more you prune, the more foliage your flowers and crops will produce!  My basil plant last year looked like a basil tree because I pruned regularly.  
9) Interdisperse flowers within your fruits and vegetables.   Flowers in the garden not only add beauty, but help fight pests and improve soil composition. 
10) Use ladybugs to fight those pests away!  They may be "ladies" but they are very effective predators to garden pests.  Purchase live ladybugs at your local garden center and enjoy releasing them in your garden! 
And last but not least, sit back and enjoy the beauty of your garden and the delicious edibles that you have worked so hard for!

Here is my favorite recipe to use with my garden harvests.  I hope you'll try your hand at planting something new this season!  Bon appetit!

Minestrone Soup
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

Prep Time:
15 min
Inactive Prep Time:
--
Cook Time:
40 min
Level:
Easy
Serves:
4 to 6 servings

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 carrots, peeled, chopped
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 3 ounces thinly sliced pancetta, coarsely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 pound Swiss chard, stems trimmed, leaves coarsely chopped
  • 1 russet potato, peeled, cubed
  • 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 fresh rosemary sprig
  • 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
  • 2 (14-ounce) cans low-sodium beef broth
  • 1 ounce piece Parmesan cheese rind
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
  • Salt and pepper

Directions

Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, pancetta, and garlic. Saute until the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the Swiss chard and potato; saute for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and rosemary sprig. Simmer until the chard is wilted and the tomatoes break down, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, blend 3/4 cup of the beans with 1/4 cup of the broth in a processor until almost smooth. Add the pureed bean mixture, remaining broth, and Parmesan cheese rind to the vegetable mixture. Simmer until the potato pieces are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Stir in the whole beans and parsley. Simmer until the beans are heated through and the soup is thick, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Discard Parmesan rind and rosemary sprig (the leaves will have fallen off of the stem.)
Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.






4 comments:

  1. Neiser! I had no idea you had a blog-I love it! I am definitely inspired to get our raised garden beds up and running ASAP. Thanks for the great tips and good finds on Pinterest! And yes Matthew, Pinterest is crack for women...eat up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I love your blog! You are so inspiring. Love the pictures too. I am starting small with some self-watering containers of peppers, basil and cilantro. I'll be keeping an eye on your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, that's taking the gardening challenge! Great job and great tips! Would you like to try this challenge? ... http://www.victorygardenfoundation.org/victorygardenchallenge2012.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post denise!! we have a raised garden too-i have found my favorite things to grow are actually herbs. top fave: basil! its even lasted through several freezes.

    ReplyDelete