Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Takoba

I hate Austin traffic.  I can't help but repeat this phrase in my head as my husband and I venture to the east side on a Tuesday night to meet our good friends Erik and Chelsea for a bite to eat.  I despise I-35 and its masses of people.  However, we surprisingly arrive within 30 minutes of leaving our northwest home and are actually.....(brace yourselves)...early.  For those of you who know us, you know this is not a regular occurrence.  Apparently while I was anticipating the I-35 traffic I failed to recognize that there wasn't much traffic at all! As we park around the corner from East Seventh and Onion street, Takoba whispers hints of east side gentrification. 

From the moment we walk up the porch like walkway, I appreciate the atmosphere the place has to offer.  Hipsters and the hippy at hearts, along with young families and first dates fill the candle lit patio tables and beach chairs.  We are seated promptly on the patio and served a basket of warm chips and salsa.  They were de-lish.  I'll spare you the details of every ingredient on my plate...but will suggest you try any of their made-from-scratch  tacos.  In particular, the carnitas tacos made from braised pork shoulder on wood burning fire pits are melt in your mouth good - especially when washed down with a prickly pear margarita or mexican martini (or so Chelsea tells me)!

 Thumbs up to Takoba for offering authentic Mexican food away from the throngs of people downtown.  It's worth the drive!

Check it out when you can!
www.takobarestaurant.com
1411 E 7th St
Austin, TX 78702
Neighborhood: East Austin
(512) 628-4466

1 comment: